If a loved one is an alcoholic, this is a serious problem for the whole family. The situation is complicated by the fact that some people do not consider themselves ill even if they have binge eating on a regular basis. How to help a person suffering from alcoholism. Is it possible to cure a relative who drinks at home? And most importantly, how to deal with the drinker's denial of alcohol addiction.
How to help an alcoholic to stop drinking
First of all, the patient must be aware that the disease exists, it must be treated. You must want to get rid of the drunkenness. Motivation is the main driver in this situation. Even the presence of a large number of means, opportunities and good conditions will not lead to the desired result if there is no goal and the right attitude.
Here are some basic steps you can take to reduce alcohol cravings:
- acceptance of the disease. As soon as the alcoholic stops denying the existence of an addiction, it will be easier for him to seek treatment, he will quickly get rid of the disease.
- suppression of the desire to drink, control. We need to find an alternative to drinking. As soon as the thought of taking another dose of alcohol comes up, you need to switch to an activity (running, reading, walking, etc. ).
- Contrast shower 2-3 per day. It will help strengthen blood vessels and reduce alcohol cravings.
- Drink plenty of water (at least 10 glasses of water a day).
- renunciation of the old life. It is necessary to avoid people and places associated with an alcoholic past.
As soon as the patient begins to drink less alcohol, he must undergo a full diagnosis of the body. After that, you can continue with restorative activities (vitamin therapy, light exercise, walking, etc. ).
How to help a person who drinks to quit
There is no universal help. All alcoholics are different, and everyone's environment will be different as well. Still, there are some ways to combat addiction.
You need to start treatment with a dropper that cleans the blood. You can call a doctor who will do all the necessary manipulations. Then the entire course of treatment is planned. The main thing is that the patient wants to be treated. A therapy plan is then set up. Or you need to change the approach to the problem if you don't want to get rid of the addiction. At any stage, the patient will need the help of loved ones, especially if he is not in the mood for treatment.
Important recommendations for families of alcoholics:
- Transfer a tip to self-service. Sooner or later he has to deal with cooking, washing, cleaning.
- Spend free time on hobbies and forget about exploits for a loved one.
- Do not give in when it comes to alcohol, do not succumb to the provocations of an alcoholic. He has to get used to the new situation in the family.
- Not responsible for the actions of a drinking relative. He must resolve all claims, allegations, disputes himself.
You can only help those who are waiting, open to change. You don't have to devote your whole life to rescuing an alcoholic.
At home, only the initial stage of alcoholism can be cured. Other stages of the disease involve severe mental and physical abnormalities that require medical intervention.
It is important to follow the rules of home treatment:
- Make your own decision to quit bad habits. Forced therapy is ineffective.
- Observe total calm, no stress provoking failures.
- Avoid as much as possible all past life memories (drinking buddies, places where alcohol is drunk).
- Avoid alcohol completely.
- Join forces with your loved ones against a common problem.
- Take medicines prescribed by the doctor.
- Strengthen the therapeutic effect of folk remedies.
Medications are prescribed only by a doctor. Self-medication can only aggravate the disease. And decoctions, infusions according to recipes of alternative medicine enhance the positive effect and relieve the symptoms of the disease. They are most effective in poisoning with alcohol degradation products.
Unfortunately, according to statistics, it is not always possible to help an alcoholic with treatment at home. But still there are many positive results. The main thing is not to give up, follow all the instructions, take steps in the right direction.
Disadvantages of home treatment:
- high probability of failure;
- lack of treatment experience, professional psychological support;
- Passivity, apathy of the patient, loss of motivation in long-term therapy.
In order to avoid negative consequences and serious complications, it is necessary to overcome shame, embarrassment, prejudice and other obstacles, and still seek help from a specialist. And he will already determine the severity of the disease, recommend inpatient treatment if necessary, or approve rehabilitation at home.
The treatment in the hospital is anonymous. Therefore, you should not hide from problems, be ashamed. It is better to immediately seek help from specialists: a narcologist, a psychiatrist, a psychotherapist, a family psychologist.
Of particular importance is the correct attitude towards treatment. Alcoholism is a chronic disease that will not go away completely. Only willpower, the desire to change one's life will help a person to stay in remission for a long time without returning to an exacerbation of the disease.
Advantages of inpatient treatment:
- Isolation from the impact of external negative factors;
- lack of access to alcoholic beverages;
- the possibility of a full diagnosis;
- Control over the treatment process, if necessary, timely changes;
- right conditions, unlimited possibilities for complex therapy.
Serious cases of illness are only treated in a hospital.
It is easier and faster to collapse after giving up alcohol in a medical institution. The duration of treatment is at least 7 days.
Phases of therapy:
- removal of toxins. The patient is prescribed droppers, regular tests are carried out by him and diagnostic measures are carried out.
- Based on the results of the diagnosis, the narcologist draws up a treatment program, which involves the necessary specialists.
- Drug treatment, consultations with specialists with the involvement of the patient's relatives.
- Further follow-up of the patient after the course of treatment.
The success of the therapy lies in a bundle of measures. Anonymous Hospital is the best place for their implementation.
How to help someone stop drinking when they don't want to
Such patients will never admit to themselves that they have difficulties, nor will they admit that they are addicted to alcohol. Such denial is a major obstacle to treatment, an obstacle to recovery. If an alcoholic does not want to be treated, even the most experienced professionals will not help him. But even in this situation, there are ways to help the patient stop drinking:
|method||Description of the method|
|Believe||It works only at the initial stage of the development of the disease. You need to talk directly to the person, explain what his behavior looks like from the outside (you can shoot a video, bring witnesses to a meeting). Evidence effectively affects the human psyche, he thinks about his actions. A good argument is a reminder of how a hangover works. You can use the example of a local alcoholic degraded to show what the future holds for you if you don't stop drinking. Once an alcohol lover agrees to treatment, you need to support them to consolidate the positive effects.|
|jar of Hearts||An alcoholic gets into a difficult situation because of alcohol. As he tries to solve it, he reconsiders his way of life. This situation is created by relatives, acquaintances. Expensive, cruel, but effective method. For example, in a company, pour sleeping pills in alcohol, take the victim to the forest, collect money and documents. Or while the drinker is distracted with friends, take the kid away from him.|
|Medicines, folk remedies||If persuasion does not help, you can add medicines, herbal teas to food and drinks. The action of these drugs is based on the emergence of an aversion to alcohol. In combination with alcohol, such additives provoke nausea, vomiting, a change in the taste of alcohol and a severe hangover the next day. You can use such drugs only after consulting a doctor.|
|Appeal to magicians, sorcerers, healers||At the heart of the treatment of representatives of alternative medicine are herbal teas, magic spells, rituals, conspiracies. This method must be used with caution as there are many charlatans. In addition, such treatment is always expensive and often ineffective.|
|intimidation||The threats can be different: losing or not finding a job, not getting home, not paying loans. According to psychologists, not the most successful method. It can have the opposite effect. In order to startle a drinker with something, you have to know them well.|
How do you convince an alcoholic to seek treatment? Key Recommendations:
- Avoid conflict situations, criticism of the dependent person.
- Talk about your emotions caused by the situation, but don't blame them.
- Help find interesting alternative activities.
- Explain that authority has been lost in the inner circle.
- Motivate the patient with responsibility, love of life.
- Explain the importance of seeking professional help.
Believe in the power of your words, the success of actions will help achieve a positive result.